The American Planning Association (Washington, DC) is expected to bestow this honor upon the Central Street Neighborhood. The qualifying criteria for being recognized as a "Great Neighborhood" listed on the organization's web site include the following characteristics:
- The neighborhood should have a variety of “functional attributes,” such as residential, commercial, or mixed uses.
- It should accommodate multi-modal transportation, such as pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers.
- It should have design and architectural features that are visually interesting.
- It should encourage human contact and social activities.
- It should promote community involvement and maintain a secure environment.
- It should promote sustainability and respond to climatic demands.
- It should have a memorable character.
So please plan to join the festivities today at 3:00 at Independence Park, 2 blocks west of Green Bay Road.