A family was displaced by a fire that broke out in a 25-unit
condo building at 1226 Elmwood Ave. in Evanston Friday night, according to a
resident of the building.
The fire started shortly before 8 p.m., and no one was injured, according to Chris Cameron, who was at home at the time. When the blaze began, the residents of the unit were outside the building and smelled smoke, so they went inside to check their place. They discovered it was on fire and called 9-11, Cameron said.
Smoke continued to pour out of the front window of their unit for at least 15 minutes, but firefighters were quickly able to extinguish the blaze, and damage was limited to one first-floor apartment, according to Cameron.
All of the residents were evacuated from the building, but were able to return home within an hour. Meanwhile, the family who was displaced was planning to stay in a hotel, according to Cameron.