Evanston residents are encouraged to get out and get moving with free programming during "Let's Move!" week, Aug. 20-26.
Launched in conjunction with First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let's Move!" initiative, the week includes free youth fitness classes, bike helmet feeting and nutrition advice at the city's farmers market.
Here's a lineup of events, as posted on the city website:
"Monday 8/20 – Let’s Move! Outside
Free youth fitness classes in the park for ages 6 and up at Foster Field, located at the , 1655 Foster St.
- 10:30 a.m. ZUMBA - ZUMBA is a great way to exercise while having fun dancing to Latin and international music. With easy to follow dance steps, this workout will have your heart pumping and your body moving in no time!
- 11:00 a.m. Yoga Fit - Start your Monday off with a calming yoga class. Yoga will help increase the strength, flexibility, and posture in your growing body.
- 11:30 a.m. Funky Fitness - Get moving outside with a fun cardio workout! This workout will help increase your focus and motivate your imagination through creative movements.
Tuesday 8/21 – Let’s Ride!
Free helmet fitting
- - helmet fitting 11:00a.m. - 8:00 p.m. 1224 Chicago Ave. 20% off helmets for those who don’t own one already! (available this day only).
- - helmet fitting 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. 1424 Lake St.
- Ten27 Cycles - helmet fitting 11:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. 1027 Davis St.
Wednesday 8/22 – Let’s Eat Healthy!
Pick up some fresh and healthy foods at any one of Evanston's four farmer's markets: West End Ethnic Market, Ridgeville Market, Central Green Street Market, and Farmer's Market at the .
Thursday 8/23 – Let’s Walk!
Walk on one of Evanston's many beautiful park paths. It's a great way to get moving and active!
Friday 8/24 – Let’s Play!
Friday Nights at the
For kids entering 6-8 grades.
Saturday 8/25 – Let’s Eat Healthy!
Stop by the Let’s Move! Evanston booth for information on how to eat healthier and make small, easy changes to your diet.
Sunday 8/26 – Let’s Move at the CommUNITY Picnic!
(behind the Morton Civic Center at 2100 Ridge Ave.)
Test your fitness at the CrossFit games station!"