CTA Purple Line service will shut down Friday through Sunday for the installation of two new viaducts, at Dempster and Grove streets, according to a press release from the city.
The construction work is being completed as part of a $15 million improvement project funded by the Illinois Department of Transportation. Two weeks ago, crews installed a new viaduct at Greenleaf Street, while other work includes new retaining walls and foundations, new waterproofing and drainage systems, and new lighting systems.
Purple Line service between Howard and Davis streets will be suspended from 8:30 p.m. on Friday, June 22, through 4:30 a.m. on Monday, June 25. In the meantime, a CTA shuttle bus will make the same stops on the same time schedule as the Purple Line L.
The viaduct at Dempster Street will likely be installed on Saturday, June 23 between 2 and 4 p.m., while the Grove Street bridge is expected to be installed from 6 to 8 p.m. that same day. Businesses will remain open while the work is going on, and pedestrin access will mostly be maintained, according to the release.
Construction will necessitate some traffic detours and parking restrictions. Here's what to expect (information provided by the city of Evanston):
Dempster Street (map here>>>)
- East Bound: Maple St. to Greenwood St. to Chicago Ave.
- West Bound: Chicago Ave. to Lake St. to Oak Ave.
Grove Street (map here>>>)
- East Bound: Elmwood Ave. to Lake St. to Sherman Ave.
- West Bound: Sherman Ave. to Davis St. to Maple Ave.
- Grove St. (Chicago Ave. to Elmwood Ave.) 7:00 AM on Friday through 5:00 PM on Monday – vehicles parking in the Rotary International building will be allowed in and out on Friday (No entries after 2:00 PM; exit must be by 7:00 PM) and Monday.
- Dempster St. (Chicago Ave. to Sherman Ave.) 7:00 AM on Friday through 5:00 PM on Tuesday
- Alley west of Sherman Ave. from Lake St. to Grove St. (deliveries normally in alley will need to be on Sherman Ave. Garbage will need to be wheeled out as needed).
Generally, parking restrictions will be from Friday 7:00 AM through Monday 7:00 AM unless noted.
- Sherman Ave. – Davis St. to Grove St. on west side (in front of Rotary will be restricted for deliveries on Friday - no parking rest of weekend for construction)
- Sherman Ave. – from Dempster St. to Greenwood Ave. on the east side of street (west of Metra Viaduct)
- Sherman Ave. - no parking west side from Greenwood St. to Lake St.
- Clark St. & Chicago Ave. – corner parking restrictions so trucks can make turns
- Grove St. – Maple Ave. to Elmwood Ave. south side of Street
- Elmwood Ave. – East side of Grove St. going south for 200 feet
- Chicago Ave. – West side of street from Clark St. to Church St.
- Chicago Ave. - West side of Dempster St. south to the first alley on Chicago Ave. – East side from Grove St. to Greenwood St. (Friday and Saturday only)
- Chicago Ave. - West side Dempster St. south to the first alley